August 1, 2012

Stupidity

People-watching is one of my favorite pastimes.  It's amazing the things people do when they think no one is watching.  Or maybe they know people are watching and do it anyway.  One of the best places to people-watch is at the gym.  Not that I go to the gym to do just this.  Of course, I get my full work-out in (kickboxing, yoga, weights, abs, and at least a 2-mile run, thank you very much), but in between sets while you take a 30-second pause, you can't help but notice a few interesting people.  

Like the guy who lifts twice his weight.  Or at least tries to and fails miserably.   

Or the sports bra-clad girl who doesn't do much else but traipse from one end of the gym to the other carrying a 3-lb. dumbbell just so everyone can look at her. 

And what about the big, burly man in table-top position who goes back and forth in cat and cow poses looking like he's about to pounce.  Yeah, not very sexy.  

Oh, and we mustn't forget the twenty-something-year-old guy who growls so loud he sounds like he's in pain each time he lifts the bar bell.  I don't know whether this is natural or if he's just making these thunderous noises just to attract attention.  

I also encountered a guy donning headphones who was actually singing and dancing to whatever he was listening to.  In between his sets, he would get up and sing, then attempt to shake his ass.  His singing was bad.  His dancing?  You don't even want to know.

But I will never forget the man who thought he was a hotshot.  

As I was finishing up my run on the treadmill, he approached the treadmill next to me and set it to speed 10 (10 mph).  The guy was not even ON the treadmill.  Here I was thinking, umm that's pretty fast.  But that's not the worst of it.  He then set it on an incline of 3 (least it looked that way).  So the treadmill was elevated and going 10 mph.  He was still not on the machine.  He hasn't stretched or warmed up.  He just appeared out of nowhere.  By this point I'm sure everyone around me was probably thinking what the hell?  Is this idiot a moron, or what?  And then the inevitable happened.  The man ran and jumped on to the treadmill ... 

AND FELL FLAT ON HIS FACE!!!  

Wow.  What did he think was going to happen.  One word: stupid! 

The video below pretty much captures what I witnessed in person.  Except the guy that I saw wasn't dancing, and the treadmill was elevated. 







No comments:

Post a Comment